Methods of Teaching Mathematics Curriculum
This course is part of the elementary teaching option for a major in mathematics. It is designed to provide students with knowledge and experience to enable them to become effective elementary mathematics teachers. Emphasis will be on modes of instruction, unit planning and lesson planning to maximize student engagement and student learning. Problem solving, effective assessment, classroom management, use of technology, and national curriculum and process standards will be focal points.
Course Objectives and Goals
1. Students will name, describe, identify, and use different modes of instruction and explain when each might be appropriate.
2. Students will locate and/or develop activities, lesson plans, and unit plans involving the appropriate use of different modes of instruction and appropriate content.
3. Students will analyze and determine appropriate ways to integrate technology (the use of computers, calculators, power point, digital cameras, etc.) and manipulative tools (concrete or virtual) into the teaching of the elementary mathematics curriculum.
4. Students will be able to incorporate a variety of formative and summative assessments of student learning into lessons they develop.
5. Students will to develop and present lessons.
6. Students will identify and implement Mathematics Curriculum Standards.
7. Students presentations will be videotaped & students will debrief those presentations with reflection.
8. Students will continue to develop and demonstrate a deep understanding of the mathematics used in elementary schools.
9. Students will develop effective methods of communicating.
Required Textbooks & Resources
Y.P. Li, G. Kaiser (2016). Expertise in Mathematics Instruction. New York: Springer, Inc.
P. Hudson, S. Miller (2006).Designing and Implementing Mathematics Instruction for Students with Diverse Learning Needs .New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc.
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (2000). Principles and Standards for School Mathematics (PSSM).
Reston, VA: NCTM. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Website: http://www.nctm.org
Illuminations (NCTM) http://illuminations.nctm.org/
üWhat is school mathematics?
üWhat strategies encourage student engagement and proficiency?
üDeveloping number sense
üTeaching whole number operation
üTeaching rational number
üTeaching Geometry Concept
üTeaching Data analysis, statistics, and probability
üDesigning a balanced curriculum and meaningful instruction
üAttend (on time) all classes and fully participate respectfully in the class activities.
üComplete and submit assignments on time.
üMeet the practicum expectations
The weight of the assignments will be as follows:
Class attendance and full participation 20%
Other Assignments (Classroom Practicum Assignments & Lesson Plans) 20%
Final exam 60%